QEmacs (for Quick Emacs) is a very small but powerful text editor. It has
the following features:
* Full screen editor with an Emacs look and feel with all Emacs common
features: multi-buffer, multi-window, command mode, universal argument,
keyboard macros, config file with C like syntax, minibuffer with
completion and history.
* Can edit files of hundreds of megabytes quickly by using a highly
optimized internal representation and by mmaping the file.
* Full UTF8 support, including bidirectional editing respecting the Unicode
bidi algorithm. Arabic and Indic scripts handling (in progress).
* WYSIWYG HTML/XML/CSS2 mode graphical editing. Also supports lynx like
rendering on VT100 terminals. WYSIWYG DocBook mode based on XML/CSS2
* C mode: coloring with immediate update. Emacs like auto-indent.
* Shell mode: colorized VT100 emulation so that your shell work exactly as
you expect. You can run interactive terminal apps directly in the process
buffer: mc, MenuConfig, or even qemacs itself! Compile mode with
* Input methods for most languages, including Chinese (input methods come
from the Yudit editor).
* Hexadecimal editing mode with insertion and block commands. Unicode hexa
editing of UTF8 files also supported.
* Works on any VT100 terminals without termcap. UTF8 VT100 support included
with double width glyphs.
* X11 support. Support multiple proportionnal fonts at the same time (as
* Small! Full version is about 150KB. Smaller custom versions can be built
by removing modules.