OpenZFS is an advanced file system and volume manager which was originally developed
for Solaris and is now maintained by the OpenZFS community
It includes the functionality of both traditional file systems and volume manager.
It has many advanced features including:
* Protection against data corruption. Integrity checking for both data and metadata.
* Continuous integrity verification and automatic “self-healing” repair
* Data redundancy with mirroring, RAID-Z1/2/3 [and DRAID]
* Support for high storage capacities — up to 256 trillion yobibytes (2^128 bytes)
* Space-saving with transparent compression using LZ4, GZIP or ZSTD
* Hardware-accelerated native encryption
* Efficient storage with snapshots and copy-on-write clones
* Efficient local or remote replication — send only changed blocks with ZFS send and receive
The OpenZFS project brings together developers from the Linux, FreeBSD, illumos, MacOS, and Windows platforms.
OpenZFS is supported by a wide range of companies.