GNU Emacs is an extensible, customizable text editor - and more. At its core
is an interpreter for Emacs Lisp, a dialect of the Lisp programming language
with extensions to support text editing. The features of GNU Emacs include:
* Content-sensitive editing modes, including syntax coloring, for a variety
of file types including plain text, source code, and HTML.
* Complete built-in documentation, including a tutorial for new users.
* Full Unicode support for nearly all human languages and their scripts.
* Highly customizable, using Emacs Lisp code or a graphical interface.
* A large number of extensions that add other functionality, including a
project planner, mail and news reader, debugger interface, calendar, and
more. Many of these extensions are distributed with GNU Emacs; others are